Coláiste Íde Boarding School Dingle is situated on the grounds of an elegant Georgian home which was the former estate of Lord Ventry. It is surrounded by 104 acres of estate which includes 50 acres of woodland.
The college was established by the Department of Education as a preparatory school for girls in 1927 and run by the Sisters of Mercy. Since its inception as a preparatory school in 1927 the college has nurtured many hundreds of fluent Irish speaking teachers from throughout the country. Following the ending of the preparatory school scheme in 1961 the Sisters of Mercy continued to run Coláiste Íde as an all-girls second level boarding school educating students through the medium of Irish for state examinations. Coláiste Íde now operates under the auspices of Cairde Choláiste Íde Teoranta, a limited company with charitable status which was set up by parents, past-pupils and friends in 1996.
With a capacity for 150 students, education at Coláiste Íde through the medium of Irish has many advantages; supporters of bilingual tuition state that it gives students strong cognitive advantages, greater problem-solving ability and higher literacy levels. As a Catholic boarding school Coláiste Íde is committed to an educational program which is Christian in outlook.
The college continues to provide a high standard of education to girls from all over Ireland. The only all Irish seven day boarding school for girls in existence in Ireland, Coláiste Íde’s ethos is grounded in the College Crest “Glaine Ár gCroí” or Purity of Heart.
Aim of Coláiste Íde
Coláiste Íde aims to prepare pupils to play their proper role in society by helping them to develop themselves physically spiritually, mentally and emotionally; to respect themselves, others and God; to respect our Irish heritage – our country, our language and traditions; to foster a love of learning and values that will guide them for life.[/two_third]
Baile an Ghoilín
Images Of Coláiste Íde
This post is also available in: Irish